COLUMBUS, Ohio -- As we near the end of the month of January, we’ve seen plenty of great action in Central Ohio. After an exciting week last week, we have brand new Division I rankings.
(team, record, strength of record points)
1. Dublin Coffman (15-0, 20) - Coffman had no problems last week in dispatching Olentangy Orange and Westland. The Rocks will look to improve to 17-0 with matchups on the road at No. 19 Olentangy and Marysville, which both could be tricky games.
2. Hilliard Bradley (15-0, 16) - Bradley improved to 15-0 by not making a single field goal in the fourth quarter of a 43-42 win over Newark. The Jaguars have the area's most elite defense and will take that on the road at No. 13 Delaware Hayes this week.
3. Pickerington Central (16-1, 22) - The breakout of Garner Wallace has led to four-straight wins over quality competition for the most part. The Tigers will look to sweep No. 9 Reynoldsburg at home Friday in the second part of the Battle for 256.
4. Hilliard Davidson (12-3, 11) - Davidson rises six spots in the rankings this week after taking down Olentangy Liberty and Upper Arlington. The Wildcats have lost three games, two of which to Coffman and one to Upper Arlington earlier in the year. Davidson can notch another impressive win on Saturday against Springfield.
5. Logan (11-2, 7) - The Chieftains rise to a season-high No. 5 this week after taking care of business on the road at St. Charles. Logan has a loaded schedule this week with road matchups against Chillicothe and Parkersburg South (WV), while Massillon Washington will come to town on Friday.
6. Olentangy Liberty (12-4, 16) - The Patriots overcame a heartbreaking loss to Davidson by rolling through Pickerington North and Westerville South on back-to-back days. Liberty has two ranked matchups on the road at No. 12 Dublin Jerome and No. 17 Westerville North this week.
7. Pickerington North (12-4, 17) - A team that has been up and down all season, North took a tough loss to Liberty on Saturday at the Scholastic Play by Play Classic. The Panthers have just one game this week, as it will host Lancaster on Friday.
8. Walnut Ridge (12-2, 12) - Playing just one game last week thanks to school closures, Walnut Ridge will play three league games in five days this week. The Scots will host Independence and play at West and Africentric.
9. Reynoldsburg (13-3, 10) - Lingering at the end of the top 10 for most of the year, Reynoldsburg can greatly rise up the rankings on Friday at No. 3 Pickerington Central. The Raiders need a win in that matchup to solidify a high ranking in the district tournament.
10. Canal Winchester (15-1, 5) - Canal Winchester's undefeated start to the year was snapped on the road at Groveport on Friday. With the rest of the area licking its chops at the Indians, Canal can improve to 17-1 with winnable matchups against Hilliard Darby and Franklin Heights this week.
11. Newark (14-3, 10) - Coming a few loose balls away from having a chance to upset Hilliard Bradley, Newark took a tough loss to the Jags on Saturday. Coming closer than any other team has to beating Bradley this year, Newark has to be feeling confident about themselves heading into Friday's home game against Big Walnut.
12. Dublin Jerome (10-4, 5) - The Celtics made a statement on Friday by rolling over Thomas Worthington and establishing a hold of second place in the OCC-Cardinal. Jerome can establish more momentum with a Tuesday home matchup against No. 6 Olentangy Liberty before Hilliard Darby comes to town on Friday.
13. Delaware Hayes (11-4, 2) - Suffering a big loss to Thomas Worthington on Tuesday, Hayes seems to be running low on momentum. All of that can change on Friday when the Pacers will host No. 2 Hilliard Bradley. If Hayes can win that game, it'll do wonders for them heading into the tournament.
14. Olentangy Orange (10-6, 8) - Another team that has experienced some highs and lows, Orange took a road loss to top-ranked Dublin Coffman before taking down Westerville Central to end last week. The Pioneers will host Westerville South on Friday in part two of the Calo Bowl.
15. Northland (11-4, 2) - Northland seems to be rounding into a groove, as the Vikings went 3-0 last week with wins over Whetstone, Linden and No. 13 Thomas Worthington. The development of junior Isaiah Ingle and sophomore Makhale Massey will determine how far Northland goes in the district tournament this year. The Vikings can establish command of the City League North with a home win over No. 4 (D2) Beechcroft on Tuesday.
16. Thomas Worthington (11-5, 4) - The Cardinals looked to be en route to a big week after taking down Delaware Hayes on Tuesday but all momentum was halted when Dublin Jerome and Northland handed losses to Thomas in a span of 17 or so hours. Falling back three spots, the Cardinals can move back up with winnable games against New Albany and Olentangy Berlin this week.
17. Westerville North (10-7, 12) - A team with plenty of weapons that could get hot at any time, Westerville North is rolling right now as winners of six of their last seven games. The Warriors can make a statement on Friday when they host No. 6 Olentangy Liberty.
18. Gahanna (10-6, 2) - Gahanna falls back two spots after going down on the road at Pickerington North on Friday. A young team that is still searching for toughness, Gahanna gets two winnable games against Grove City and Zane Trace this week.
19. Olentangy (8-6, 8) - Falling two spots after losing at home to Westerville North, Olentangy is just clinging to a spot in the top 20. The Braves can shock the area as No. 1 Dublin Coffman comes to town on Tuesday before winnable games against Westerville Central and Centennial. Olentangy knocked off the final undefeated team in the area last year in Upper Arlington. It'll be interesting to see if the Braves can do it again.
20. Groveport (10-7, 4) - Groveport enters the rankings for the first time all year after knocking off No. 3 Canal Winchester and ending the Indians' 15-game winning streak. The Cruisers can stay in the rankings with a win at New Albany on Friday.
|1||1||Dublin Coffman||15-0||20||@ #19 Olentangy, vs. Marysville|
|2||2||Hilliard Bradley||15-0||16||@ #13 Delaware Hayes|
|3||5||Pickerington Central||16-1||22||vs. #9 Reynoldsburg|
|4||10||Hilliard Davidson||12-3||11||@ Central Crossing, vs. Springfield|
|5||6||Logan||11-2||7||@ Chillicothe, vs. Massillon Washington, @ Parkersburg South (WV)|
|6||8||Olentangy Liberty||12-4||16||@ #12 Dublin Jerome, @ #17 Westerville North|
|7||4||Pickerington North||12-4||17||vs. Lancaster|
|8||7||Walnut Ridge||12-2||12||@ West, vs. Independence, @ Africentric|
|9||9||Reynoldsburg||13-3||10||vs. Whitehall, @ #3 Pickerington Central|
|10||3||Canal Winchester||15-1||5||vs. Hilliard Darby, @ Franklin Heights|
|11||11||Newark||14-3||4||vs. Big Walnut|
|12||14||Dublin Jerome||10-4||5||vs. #6 Olentangy Liberty, vs. Hilliard Darby|
|13||12||Delaware Hayes||11-4||2||vs. Mount Vernon, vs. #2 Hilliard Bradley|
|14||15||Olentangy Orange||10-6||8||vs. Westerville South|
|15||19||Northland||11-4||2||vs. #4 (D2) Beechcroft, vs. East, @ Centerville|
|16||13||Thomas Worthington||11-5||4||vs. New Albany, @ Olentangy Berlin|
|17||20||Westerville North||10-7||12||vs. #6 Olentangy Liberty|
|18||16||Gahanna||10-6||2||vs. Grove City, @ Zane Trace|
|19||17||Olentangy||8-6||8||vs. #1 Dublin Coffman, @ Westerville Central, vs. Centennial|
|20||NR||Groveport||10-7||4||@ New Albany|
Tag(s): Home Conferences Columbus City League North Northland South Walnut Ridge Ohio Capital Conference Buckeye Westerville North Olentangy Olentangy Liberty Olentangy Orange Capital Groveport Newark Cardinal Dublin Jerome Delaware Hayes Hilliard Bradley Thomas Worthington Central Dublin Coffman Hilliard Davidson Ohio Gahanna Pickerington Central Pickerington North Reynoldsburg Others Logan