COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Another week has passed and we are onto the back half of the high school basketball season. While snow (rain) put an end to nearly all of the weekend's matchups, we still have brand new rankings to unleash in Division I.
(Team, record, strength of record points)
1. Dublin Coffman (13-0, 18) - The Rocks passed another challenge last week by taking down a tough Hilliard Davidson team on the road. Coffman will be challenged immediately to begin the week as No. 15 Olentangy Orange comes to town fresh off taking down Olentangy Liberty.
2. Hilliard Bradley (12-0, 14) - Thanks for the weekend's predicted forecast, Bradley lost a chance to defeat defending Florida state champ Oak Ridge. We feel the Jags would have won that game, which makes Saturday's cancellation a frustrating one. On the schedule this week are two winnable league games before taking on No. 11 Newark at the Scholastic Play By Play Classic this weekend.
3. Canal Winchester (14-0, 5) - Canal Winchester has one of, if not the area's most high powered offense at this juncture, as the Indians have scored 280 points in its last three games. Canal has a great chance to improve to 16-0 with matchups against Westland and Groveport this week.
4. Pickerington North (10-3, 15) -Last week was one of many highs and lows, as North upset previously undefeated Pickerington Central, but three days prior, lost by 23 points to Logan. With a top three roster in terms of talent, the Panthers are another solid bet to compete for a district title. North has a challenging end of the week with matchups against No. 16 Gahanna and No. 8 Olentangy Liberty.
5. Pickerington Central (12-1, 17) - In its first challenging matchup without seniors Jay Rodgers and Sam Towns, Pickerington Central suffered a tough loss to rival Pickerington North. The Tigers will play four games this week, with high profile non-league matchups against state powers Trotwood-Madison and Garfield Heights.
6. Logan (9-2, 7) - Breaking through into the top 10, Logan notched its signature win of the season by rolling into Pickerington North and beating the Panthers by 23. With one matchup this week, the Chieftains will head to St. Charles on Saturday.
7. Walnut Ridge (11-2, 12) - Walnut Ridge staked its claim atop the City League South by handing South its first loss of the season. A solid bet to advance to the City League Championship, the Scots have two road matchups on the west side against West and Briggs this week.
8. Olentangy Liberty (10-3, 11) - Fresh off taking its first loss to a local team, Olentangy Liberty's road doesn't get easier. The Patriots head to No. 10 Hilliard Davidson on Tuesday before ending its week against Westerville South and No. 4 Pickerington North. If Liberty is 13-3 by this time next week, look for the Patriots to be back in the top five.
9. Reynoldsburg (11-3, 10) - Reynoldsburg turned up its defensive pressure and held Gahanna freshman star Sean Jones to two points in a big win on Friday. The Raiders will look to keep rolling against Westerville South and Grove City this week.
10. Hilliard Davidson (9-3, 5) - Hilliard Davidson went bucket for bucket with Dublin Coffman until the fourth quarter on Friday. The Wildcats can make a statement this week with matchups against No. 8 Olentangy Liberty, No. 18 Upper Arlington and Centennial. Davidson can secure a top 10 seed in the district tournament with a 3-0 week.
11. Newark (12-2, 4) - Still a game back of Canal Winchester in the OCC-Capital, Newark is rounding into shape heading into February. The Wildcats can notch its biggest win of the year on Saturday against No. 2 Hilliard Bradley at the Scholastic Play By Play Classic.
12. Delaware Hayes (10-3, 2) - The Pacers have two road matchups this week in the OCC-Cardinal, as Hayes heads to No. 13 Thomas Worthington on Tuesday. Friday's matchup at Dublin Scioto could be slip up potential for Delaware, as the Pacers needed a 31-7 run and overtime to take down the Irish earlier this season.
13. Thomas Worthington (10-3, 2) - Despite 16 combined threes from Jalen Sullinger and Isaac Settles, Thomas Worthington still couldn't take down Delaware Hayes in the first matchup between the teams. The Cardinals will get their rematch on Tuesday at home before ending the week with ranked matchups against No. 14 Dublin Jerome and No. 19 Northland.
14. Dublin Jerome (8-4, 3) - One of the sleeper teams in Division I, Dublin Jerome can make great progress on Friday with a home matchup against rival Thomas Worthington. Falling to the Cardinals in overtime the first time around, the Celtics will be determined to defend home court on Friday.
15. Olentangy Orange (9-5, 8) - A few days removed from picking up its best win of the season against Olentangy Liberty, the Pioneers can play spoiler once again this week. Heading to No. 1 Dublin Coffman on Tuesday, Orange will be looking for the upset of the year. Featuring a stellar backcourt that can put up plenty of points, Orange might just be able to hang with Coffman long enough to pull the upset.
16. Gahanna (9-5, 2)
17. Olentangy (7-5, 8)
18. Upper Arlington (9-3, 7)
19. Northland (8-4, 0)
20. Westerville North (7-7, 5)
|1||1||Dublin Coffman||13-0||18||vs. #15 Olentangy Orange, vs. Westland|
|2||2||Hilliard Bradley||12-0||14||vs. Worthington Kilbourne, vs. Olentangy Berlin, vs. #11 Newark|
|3||6||Canal Winchester||14-0||5||vs. Westland, @ Groveport|
|4||5||Pickerington North||10-3||15||@ Groveport, vs. #16 Gahanna, vs. #8 Olentangy Liberty|
|5||3||Pickerington Central||12-1||17||vs. Trotwood-Madison, @ Westerville Central, @ Lancaster, vs. Garfield Heights|
|6||NR||Logan||9-2||7||@ St. Charles|
|7||7||Walnut Ridge||11-2||12||@ West, @ Briggs|
|8||4||Olentangy Liberty||10-3||11||@ #10 Hilliard Davidson, vs. Westerville South, vs. #4 Pickerington North|
|9||9||Reynoldsburg||11-3||10||@ Westerville South, vs. Grove City|
|10||8||Hilliard Davidson||9-3||5||vs. #8 Olentangy Liberty, @ #13 Upper Arlington, vs. Centennial|
|11||11||Newark||12-2||4||vs. Lancaster, vs. Franklin Heights, vs. #2 Hilliard Bradley|
|12||12||Delaware Hayes||10-3||2||@ #13 Thomas Worthington, @ Dublin Scioto|
|13||10||Thomas Worthington||10-3||2||vs. #12 Delaware Hayes, @ #14 Dublin Jerome, vs. #19 Northland|
|14||14||Dublin Jerome||8-4||3||@ Olentangy Berlin, vs. #13 Thomas Worthington|
|15||NR||Olentangy Orange||9-5||8||@ #1 Dublin Coffman, @ Westerville Central|
|16||15||Gahanna||9-5||2||vs. New Albany, @ #4 Pickerington North|
|17||NR||Olentangy||7-5||8||@ Big Walnut, vs. #20 Westerville North|
|18||13||Upper Arlington||9-3||7||@ #20 Westerville North, vs. #10 Hilliard Davidson, @ Chillicothe|
|19||NR||Northland||8-4||vs. Linden-McKinley, @ Whetstone, vs. #13 Thomas Worthington|
|20||NR||Westerville North||7-7||5||vs. #18 Upper Arlington, @ #17 Olentangy, vs. #4 (D2) Bishop Hartley|
Tag(s): Home Conferences Columbus City League North Northland South Walnut Ridge Ohio Capital Conference Buckeye Westerville North Olentangy Olentangy Liberty Olentangy Orange Capital Canal Winchester New Albany Cardinal Dublin Jerome Delaware Hayes Hilliard Bradley Thomas Worthington Central Dublin Coffman Hilliard Davidson Upper Arlington Ohio Gahanna Pickerington Central Pickerington North Reynoldsburg Others Logan