COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Six full weeks into the high school basketball season, the area's top competitors are rounding into form. Let's take a look at our latest Division III and IV power rankings heading into a loaded week of games.
1. Johnstown (7-0) - As the only undefeated team remaining in Division III, Johnstown moves up to No. 1 this week. The Johnnies have featured a dominant defense and have the best big man that D3 has to offer in senior Owen Hazelbaker. With a favorable schedule in the Licking County League, Johnstown should continue to roll in 2019. A big non-league matchup against No. 4 Columbus Academy on Wednesday will tell us if Johnstown is ready to compete at an elite level or not.
2. Harvest Prep (8-2) - Losing two of its last three games out of state, Harvest Prep falls to No. 2 this week. The Warriors have two winnable matchups in Mid-State League play this week against Millersport and Fisher Catholic. Look for the Warriors to get back to its winning ways this week.
3. Fairbanks (7-1) - The top surprise team in Division III, Fairbanks has been outstanding in the first eight games of the year. With its only loss coming to No. 4 (D2) Jonathan Alder, the Panthers have a good resume and are starting to really click. Fairbanks has two favorable matchups in the Ohio Heritage Conference against Madison Plains and Greenon this week.
4. Columbus Academy (7-3) - Knocking off Grandview Heights last week, Columbus Academy moves into the top five. The Vikings will be instantly tested on Wednesday with a trip to top-ranked Johnstown. The road won't get much easier, as Academy travels to take on a tough Whitehall team to end the week.
5. Africentric (5-3) - Africentric is in for the toughest stretch of games that any team will face in Division III this season. Falling to No. 14 (D1) Thomas Worthington last Saturday, the Nubians will hit the road to take on the top two teams in the City League this week. If playing at No. 6 (D1) Walnut Ridge on Tuesday wasn't enough, Africentric will then travel to No. 1 (D2) South on Friday, before heading to Beaver Eastern Pike on Saturday. If the Nubians can find a way to go at least 2-1 this week, it will set them up well for the rest of the season.
6. West Jefferson (8-2) - The Roughridgers got back to its winning ways last week in rolling over Greeneview. With a senior laden roster led by breakout wing Ben Casey, West Jefferson will look to keep rolling in OHC league play against Southeastern and Cedarville.
7. Pleasant (7-2) - Dropping a tough one at MOAC leader Clear Fork this past weekend, Pleasant falls one spot in the rankings. The Spartans have a favorable matchup to begin the week at Mount Gilead before a challenging home test against a young but competitive Ontario squad.
8. Worthington Christian (7-3) - Any time you have a young team, you have to be ready for ups and downs. Worthington Christian is in the midst of that, as the Warriors dropped a tough one at Whitehall to end last week. Worthington Christian can make some noise this week with matchups against No. 7 (D2) Bexley and No. 3 (D4) Centerburg.
9. Wellington (6-4) - For the first time since the beginning of the year, Wellington is back in the top 10 after a rough start to December. The young Jaguars are clicking under senior leader Dallas Patrick, who became the first player in program history to surpass 1,000 career points last weekend. Patrick is as good as just about any guard in D3 outside of Harvest Prep's CJ Anthony, as he will lead Wellington into matchups against Berne Union and Fairfield Christian in MSL play this week.
10. Grandview Heights (6-4) - The Bobcats have mightily struggled since Luke Lachey went down with mono, dropping two of its last three games. Luckily for Grandview, the Bobcats will be favored in both matchups this week against Horizon Science and Washington. If Grandview can survive without Lachey for a little longer, they'll be in great shape heading into the district tournament.
|1||2||Johnstown||7-0||13||vs. #4 Columbus Academy, @ Licking Valley|
|2||1||Harvest Prep||8-2||8||@ Millersport, vs. #1 (D4) Fisher Catholic|
|3||3||Fairbanks||7-1||3||@ Madison Planis, vs. Greenon|
|4||9||Columbus Academy||7-3||9||@ #1 Johnstown, @ Whitehall|
|5||5||Africentric||5-3||2||@ #6 (D1) Walnut Ridge, @ #1 (D2) South, @ Eastern Pike|
|6||7||West Jefferson||8-2||5||@ Southeastern, vs. Cedarville|
|7||6||Pleasant||7-2||2||@ Mount Gilead, vs. Ontario|
|8||8||Worthington Christian||7-3||3||@ #3 (D4) Centerburg, vs. #7 (D2) Bexley|
|9||NR||Wellington||6-4||1||vs. #2 (D4) Berne Union, @ Fairfield Christian|
|10||4||Grandview Heights||6-4||5||vs. Horizon Science, vs. Washington|
1. Fisher Catholic (7-2) - The Irish remain atop Division IV after taking down Millersport last week. Fisher Catholic has a loaded week with matchups against No. 2 (D3) Harvest Prep, Liberty Union and Grove City Christian.
2. Berne Union (7-2) - Much like Fisher Catholic, Berne Union does not move heading into Week 7 and will have three games in the next six days. The Rockets have a tough test at No. 9 (D3) Wellington to begin the week before hosting Granville Christian and Bishop Rosecrans.
3. Centerburg (6-3) - Winning three of its last four games, Centerburg is hot in Division IV. The Trojans can secure its top win of the season if it takes down No. 8 (D3) Worthington Christian at home this week. Knox-Morrow Athletic Conference foe Fredericktown will come to town to end the week.
4. Tree of Life (9-3) - Playing more games than any other team in the area, Tree of Life has been solid for the first half of the season. The Trojans won't be as active this week, as it has just one game against the upstart charter school Kipp.
5. Ridgedale (5-3) - The Rockets play further away from Columbus than any other team in Division IV, as Ridgedale plays more of a Northwest Ohio schedule in the Northern 10 Conference. The Rockets have a difficult slate ahead against Carey, a defending district title winner with a stud in junior forward Hayden Stone. Ridgedale ends the week in league play against Mohawk, as the Rockets will hope to be 7-3 by this time next week.
|1||1||Fisher Catholic||7-2||2||vs. Grove City Christian, vs. Liberty Union, @ #2 (D3) Harvest Prep|
|2||2||Berne Union||7-2||2||@ #9 (D3) Wellington, vs. Granville Christian, vs. Bishop Rosecrans|
|3||3||Centerburg||6-3||2||vs. #8 (D3) Worthington Christian, vs. Fredericktown|
|4||5||Tree of Life||9-3||vs. Kipp: Columbus|
|5||4||Ridgedale||5-3||vs. Carey, vs. Mohawk|
Tag(s): Home Conferences Columbus City League South Africentric Licking County League Johnstown KMAC Centerburg Mid State League Buckeye Cardinal Berne Union Fisher Catholic Harvest Prep Wellington Ohio Bexley Columbus Academy Grandview Worthington Christian MOAC Pleasant MOCAL Tree Of Life West Jeff Fairbanks Ohio Heritage Conference