skip navigation

Heartbreak in Dayton: Africentric Falls in Double Overtime

By Greg Glasser, 03/18/23, 2:00PM EDT


Nubians come up short in thriller rematch with Ottawa-Glandorf

DAYTON, Ohio -- Considered one of the most competitive match-ups headed into the weekend, a state semifinal rematch between Africentric and Ottawa-Glandorf once again went down to the wire and this time needed two extra periods to settle. Yet similar to 2022, Africentric fell short and lost to Ottawa-Glandorf 48-47, as Nubians senior Dailyn Swain's coast-to-coast made field goal with 4.9 seconds left came just after the final buzzer.

The Nubians held a ten-point lead halfway through the third, but a three-pointer at the buzzer from Glandorf junior guard Colin White trimmed the advantage down to 34-28 and gave the Titans and their overwhelming crowd support a jolt of momentum that they effectively carried into the final period.

The fourth quarter was a back-and-forth affair that saw four lead changes and two ties. With the Titans playing for the last shot, the Nubians nearly got a steal in the final seconds from senior Dyson Bibins, which created chaos for a loose ball and ended with a missed half-court attempt from Glandorf.

The Nubians again created a turnover in the final seconds of the first overtime and held for a final shot, but a Swain three-pointer fell short.

No baskets were exchanged for the first 4:55 of the second bonus period. Glandorf held the ball for with the hope of taking a final shot attempt. After Swain, who had guarded White for most of the game, was switched defensively, Preston Steele took the task of defending White but ultimately was called for a foul that sent the Division I recruit to the free throw line with 4.9 seconds remaining. 

"That was a scramble at the end," Africentric head coach Michael Bates said. "I thought Preston did a great job guarding [White]. He opened his hips a bit at the end and got around and swung and tapped his back and the ref made the call, but it was a proper call."

White, who finished with a game high 24 points, went one-of-two to push the Titans towards a 48-47 lead. The Nubians had a final look, as Swain went the entire length of the floor as he used his exceptional length and speed to get inside the paint. Yet while his attempt from five feet went in, the shot was considered just after the final horn.

"I got a screen and tried to make a move at the basket," Swain, a Xavier signee, said after the game. "With 4.9 seconds left, I couldn't really look at the clock, things were just moving so fast."

"Hard fought game," Bates said. "It was six periods of championship basketball at an extremely high level. Both teams fought it out and left it on the court."

"We had a few mistakes that were timely mistakes that cost us," Bates said. "We also had a few opportunities to capitalize on their mistakes, but weren't able to make that happen. In high school football, they say it's a game of inches. In basketball, it's really a game of tenths of seconds that can make a totally different outcome."

Swain finished with a familiar loaded stat sheet as he scored 21 points, 12 rebounds and had five assists. The Titans did a good job of slowing him down after half, as he scored only seven of his total in the final two periods and in the overtimes.

"We started to send a second guy at him," Glandorf head coach Tyson McGlaughlin said. "It may not have affected Swain as much, but I think it got in the head of their supporting cast, they got a little hesitant and had some huge turnovers after that."

Despite only shooting 2-of-13 from behind the arc, the Titans made the necessary adjustments and kept their composure to overcome the double-digit lead the Nubians had built. 

"We are guys that go down without a fight," White said, who has received offers and interest from various mid-major and high-major collegiate programs. "We were able to find a rhythm on the offensive end."

Joining White in double figure scoring was 6'7 senior forward Theo Maag, who played a huge role with his 14 point and 11 rebound effort. Senior Hunter Stechschulte led the Titans with six assists. 

The Nubians received complimentary support from nearly their entire rotation. While no other player scored in double figures, each individual made various impact plays throughout the game. 

Steele finished with five points and nine rebounds. Junior Cortez Freeman struggled with foul trouble and fouled out early in the first overtime, but made a pivotal three to tie the game in the final minute of the fourth as he finished with seven points.

Junior Laron Fuller and senior Dyson Bibins finished with six and five points, respectively, while both had two momentous steals.

Despite the loss, Bates was undoubtedly proud of what he saw from his team. "Realistically, we had a chance to win the game. But we didn't. But the effort and heart our team showed, along with the sportsmanship after the game, I just thought the class they showed represented us in a great way."

Asked to reflect on what this team meant to Bates, the 17-year coach of the Nubians took a moment to pause and reflect. 

"They made me love basketball. I love basketball and they helped me fall in love with basketball." 

Although this accomplished group of Nubians won't have a state championship to hold, the love and support they showed for one another will last a lifetime.

Recent News

Get the 270 Hoops Preview Magazine today!